Top 10 souvenirs ideas to bring home from the Vendée
Lacking inspiration? Check out our top ten souvenir ideas if you’re looking to take a little bit of the Vendée back home with you! Everything from traditional to unusual …… French souvenirs made in the Vendée!
A TRADITIONAL FRENCH SOUVENIR IDEA FROM THE VENDEE - LA BRIOCHE VENDÉENNE & LE PRÉFOU
This traditional Vendean delicacy can be kept for a few days, just long enough to bring home and enjoy it with the family! If you buy the famous brioche in a bakery, don’t forget to try a ‘préfou’! This is a garlic and butter speciality (great with pre-dinner drinks) which will delight not only your taste buds but also those of your guests too!
- Where can you buy these? In most bakeries (boulangeries) in the Vendée.
- Did you know: Some brioches have the Label Rouge award, a real guarantee of quality!
FRENCH FOOD SOUVENIRS - EMBLEMATIC VENDEAN seafood produces
Our two emblematic canning factories offer a range of products, everything from tinned fish to traditional ‘rillettes’ (potted fish), and other aperitif products! Their various traditional and interesting recipes are sure to please everyone!
- Conserverie La Perle de Dieux : l'Atelier de la sardine, 1 Chemin des Gabelous - 85800 Saint Gilles Croix de Vie
- Conserverie La Sablaise : marché des Halles Centrales, rue des Halles - 85100 Les Sables d’Olonne
UNIQUE FRENCH SOUVENIRS & SPECIALITIES - FLEUR DE SEL DE NOIRMOUTIER
When visiting the Island of Noirmoutier, you can choose to bring back some fleur de sel, the very fine sea salt used for seasoning food. Or you can also take home some sweet or savoury biscuits from Les Petits Cagniottes.
- Where can you buy these? The ‘fleur de sel de Noirmoutier’ can be purchased from one of the many salt marshes dotted over the island and at the various local markets.
Les Petits Cagniotes : 2 rue Marouettes - 85330 Noirmoutier
GOOD FRENCH SOUVENIR IDEAS - VENDEAN chocolate
Between, Vincent Vallée’s chocolate factory, named world’s best chocolatier in 2015, and Gelencser’s chocolate factory, which created ‘Napoline’ (a crunchy praline and soft caramel chocolate), Vendean chocolates have won over the taste buds of those who have tried them. A French souvenir made in the Vendée!
- 20° Nord 20° Sud : A cocoa-flavoured world tour. This bean-to-bar experience chocolate factory also has a shop in Challans.
- Chocolaterie Vincent Vallée : 2 bis Allée Titouan Lamazou - 85340 Olonne sur Mer
- Chocolaterie Gelencser : espace Bell, 38 rue Paul Émile Victor - 85000 La Roche sur Yon
- Did you know: the Gelencser chocolate factory has opened a Musée du Chocolat (Chocolate museum) next to its shop!
A UNIQUE TRADITIONAL SOUVENIR IDEA - A bottle of troussepinete ….So VENDEAN!
This traditional alcohol made in the Vendée, flavoured with black thorns is often served as an aperitif. Often homemade, it can also be bought.
- Lise Baccara, 26 rue des Grands Bois - 85210 Saint Martin Lars en Sainte Hermine. Vous pourrez aussi la trouver dans les caves et vendeurs spécialisés.
ONE OF THE TOP TEN SOUVENIR IDEAS - A BOTTLE OF AOC FIEFS VENDEENS WINE
The Vendée has 5 AOC terroirs (regions) and over 16 wine growers based in these ‘fief’ vineyards. These consist of Brem, Chantonnay, Mareuil, Vix and Pissotte. White, rosé, or red, there’s something for everyone.
Where can you buy these? Go directly to the wine growers or to a wine cellar.
A STYLISH SOUVENIR IDEA - Some pretty and unusual postcards
The Beau Bazar was set up by two friends and is located on the seafront in Les Sables d’Olonne. Here, they create stylish postcards of Les Sables d’Olonne, La Roche sur Yon and Saint Gilles Croix de Vie. Pretty key rings and magnets are sold in the same style, and you can even find posters!
- Le Beau Bazar : 79 bis rue des Halles - 85100 Les Sables d'Olonne
- Cosy Causette : 2 rue Sadi Carnot - 85000 La Roche sur Yon
FRENCH SOUVENIR IDEAS - STRAIGHT from L’ÎLE D’YEU
La Fabrique boutique on l’île d’Yeu sells a range of products, all made on the island by local craftsmen. You’ll find ceramics from the Caillou Blanc workshop, organic produce from the Ferme d’Émilie and lots more! It’s the perfect place to find something to bring back from the island!
- La Fabrique : 14 rue des Usines - 85350 Port-Joinville
SNAIL SLIME COSMETICS - A UNIQUE SOUVENIR IDEA
And yes, we even make cosmetics in the Vendée! Try some of the best donkey or goat’s milk soap from the Savonnerie des Collines or choose the snail slime products, creams, and masks from the Maison Royer.
- La savonnerie des Collines : 7 route de Saint Mars - 85590 Les Epesses
- Naturellement fleurie : 12 Place de la Liberté, 85560 Longeville-sur-Mer
- Maison Royer : La Morelière - 85500 Les Herbiers
SOUVENIRS MADE IN FRANCE - A NICE MAT DE MISAINE OR 85 T-SHIRT
Several Vendean brands are ready to give you the holiday spirit you’re looking for! With a pretty 4 20 5 or 85 printed t-shirt or Mât de Misaine striped sailors’ sweater!
- 4 20 5 : 2 Quai Emmanuel Garnier - 85100 Les Sables d'Olonne
- Mât de Misaine : 50 boulevard de l’Égalite - 85800 Saint Gilles Croix de Vie