Vendée Globe 2024 skippers, candidates for maritime adventure on a global scale
The 10th edition of the Vendée Globe will start on November the 10th, 2024. The forthcoming milestone in the world’s greatest non-stop, unassisted yacht race will no doubt have its share of stories and adventures. Follow this race known as the Everest of the seas, an outstanding adventure… Who will be taking part in the race? In this article, find out which skippers are being considered for the 2024 Vendée Globe.
What is the Vendée Globe anyway?
The Vendée Globe 2024 - some facts and figures :
How many participants will there be in the 2024 Vendée Globe? This edition will feature 40 skippers determined to tame the oceans.
In 2016, no fewer than 2,250,000 spectators flocked to see the start and finish, demonstrating that this solo race is much more than just a sporting event.
The sailors take on a real epic as they round the formidable capes of Good Hope, Leeuwin, and the Horn. A colossal challenge of 45,000 kms lies ahead, more than 21,000 nautical miles to challenge on the seas of the globe.
The competition offers much more than just laurels: a €160,000 prize awaits the champion, while the runner-up will walk away with €100, 000. But be warned, the Vendée Globe is anything but easy! On average, 50% of the Vendée Globe skippers abandon the race, having to battle against not only the elements but also their own doubts.
And the record to beat? In the 2016 edition, Armel Le Cléac’h completed the race in 74 days, 3 hours, 35 minutes, and 46 seconds. A feat that illustrates the determination needed to succeed in this exceptional adventure.
The global importance of the event is undeniable: it is broadcast in 190 countries, with television coverage on 13 French channels. So don’t miss the start of the captivating race, which is set to rock the boats in 2024!
The Vendée Globe 2024, how to take part?
To be eligible, the Vendée Globe skippers must complete several nautical miles in various qualifying races prior to the start of the most prestigious event starting in Port Olona. To be a competitor in the Vendée Globe 2024, it is the skipper-boat duo that needs to pre-quality. This crucial stage is designed to check the skipper’s skills and the overall reliability of his or her project. It also guarantees that the boats are suitable for the challenge of sailing around the world.
Each sailor hoping to take part in the Vendée Globe must meet certain conditions: they must take part in a minimum of two qualifying races aboard their IMOCA (International Monohull Open Class Association), with at least one race in 2022 or 2023, and another in 2024. In addition, they must successfully complete at least one of these races, while ensuring that their race time does not exceed one and a half times that winner.
The selection of skippers for the 2024 Vendée Globe is therefore based on strict criteria relating to preparation and performance. This ensures a high level of competition for this maritime adventure on a global scale.
The pre-qualifying races :
- VENDÉE ARCTIQUE - LES SABLES D'OLONNE 2022
- ROUTE DU RHUM - DESTINATION GUADELOUPE 2022
- RETOUR À LA BASE 2023 (Return leg of the Transat Jacques Vabre)
- THE TRANSAT CIC 2024
- NEW YORK VENDÉE - LES SABLES D'OLONNE 2024
The skippers who have officially announced their candidacy in the next Vendée Globe
To date, here are the skippers who have officially announced their candidacy for the next round the world race starting from Les Sables d'Olonne in the Vendée:
- Fabrice AMEDEO (NEXANS - ARTS & FENÊTRES)
- Romain ATTANASIO (FORTINET - BEST WESTERN)
- Eric BELLION (STAND AS ONE)
- Yannick BESTAVEN (MAÎTRE COQ V)
- Jérémie BEYOU (CHARAL)
- Manuel COUSIN (COUP DE POUCE)
- Arnaud BOISSIÈRES (LA MIE CÂLINE)
- Louis BURTON (BUREAU VALLÉE)
- Thomas RUYANT – FOR PEOPLE
- Charlie DALIN (MACIF SANTÉ PRÉVOYANCE)
- Clarisse CRÉMER (L'OCCITANE EN PROVENCE)
- Benjamin DUTREUX (GUYOT ENVIRONNEMENT - WATER FAMILY)
- Benjamin FERRÉ (MONNOYEUR DUO FOR A JOB)
- Pip HARE (MEDALLIA)
- Isabelle JOSCHKE (MACSF)
- Jean LE CAM (TOUT COMMENCE EN FINISTÈRE - ARMOR LUX)
- Giancarlo PEDOTE (PRYSMIAN GROUP)
- Nicolas TROUSSEL (NC)
- Alan ROURA (HUBLOT)
- Maxime SOREL (V AND B - MONBANA – MAYENNE)
- Damien SEGUIN (GROUPE APICIL)
- Kojiro SHIRAISHI (DMG MORI – GLOBAL ONE)
- Samantha DAVIES (INITIATIVES-COEUR)
- Conrad COLMAN (IMAGINE)
- Sébastien SIMON (GROUPE DUBREUIL)
- Paul MEILHAT (BIOTHERM)
- Boris HERRMANN (MALIZIA SEAEXPLORER)
- Antoine CORNIC (HUMAN IMMOBILIER) First time participant in 2024
- Louis DUC (GROUPE FIVES - LANTANA ENVIRONNEMENT) First time participant in 2024
- Sébastien MARSSET (FOUSSIER - MON COURTIER ÉNERGIE) First time participant in 2024
- Yoann RICHOMME (PAPREC ARKÉA) First time participant in 2024
- Justine METTRAUX (TEAMWORK.NET) First time participant in 2024
- Phil SHARP (OCEANSLAB) First time participant in 2024
- François Guiffant (PARTAGE) First time participant in 2024
- Sam GOODCHILD – (FOR THE PLANET) First time participant in 2024
- Guirec SOUDÉE (FREELANCE.COM) First time participant in 2024
- Denis VAN WEYNBERGH (D'IETEREN GROUP) First time participant in 2024
- Szabolcs WEÖRES (SZABI RACING) First time participant in 2024
- Jingkun XU (SINGCHAIN TEAM HAIKOU) First time participant in 2024
- Tanguy LE TURQUAIS (LAZARE) First time participant in 2024
- Nicolas LUNVEN (HOLCIM - PRB) First time participant in 2024
- Violette DORANGE (DEVENIR) First time participant in 2024
- Olivier HEER (OCEAN RACING) First time participant in 2024
- James HARAYDA (GENTOO SAILING TEAM) First time participant in 2024
Source : vendeeglobe.org